At any point in time, we all have major tasks that we want to engage in, but we are crippled with doubt. We all have a major decision that we want to make but are not taking action or riddled with analysis paralysis.
Taking action is the best way to defeat doubt. By default, in life, we all win at times, and we all fail at times. When you win, awesome, it is not the end of the world. You still have to get up the next day and begin on another endeavor. When you fail, it’s not so fun, but again it is not the end of the world. Just like when you won, you still have to get up the next day and begin on another endeavor. The only way to assure failure is to never try.
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear. -Brian Tracy
In my best-selling book, Success Made Simple, we discussed how to overcome Kakorrhaphiophobia (the abnormal fear of failure)
Here are 5 practical steps you can take to defeat doubt.
1. Surround Yourself with Mentors and Ambassadors: Before you engage on major tasks, consult with mentors and leaders that have already accomplished similar feats. Surround yourself with ambassadors that will guide you and encourage you to success.
2. Develop a Plan Of Action & Milestones (POAM): Break down your major task to small, actionable tasks with a deadline to achieve the smaller tasks. Achieving those smaller goals gives us momentum to keep going and helps fight inertia. Don’t underestimate the power of achieving and aggregating small wins.
3. Analyze the Worst-Case Scenario: In most cases, we often assume that terrible things will happen to us if we fail at our task. However, if we took the time to analyze the actual worst-case scenario, it is never really as bad as we imagined. The better news is that on our path to success, the worst-case scenario almost never happens. We often find ways to adjust and succeed.
4. Use the reversible / irreversible decision matrix: When we are confronted with a major decision and are not sure of how to proceed. Ask yourself, is this decision reversible or irreversible? Every decision has its consequences, but if the decision you are about to undertake is reversible. Take comfort in the fact that you can always reverse course.
5. Take Action: There is no substitute to taking action. Fight inertia. Fight Analysis Paralysis. Get up and take action today. All the best plans in the world without action will fail.
Get up today and begin on that very task that has been nagging you. Plan well, work hard, persevere, get with mentors and always shoot for excellence.
For other simple tips on attaining success, get a copy of my book Success Made Simple or Will You Ever Be Rich? and go to my website www.victorlofinmakin.com for other articles.